By Marlyse Baptista
This paintings deals an in-depth therapy of quite a few morpho-syntactic matters in Cape Verdean Creole (CVC) either from a descriptive and theoretical viewpoint. The investigated issues comprise the determiner procedure, stressful, temper, element markers and pronominal paradigms. The learn of TMA markers unearths morpho-syntactic configurations with attention-grabbing ramifications for syntactic idea and parametric version. This e-book pursuits creolists, theoretical linguists, and the Cape Verdean group. Given the various special viewers, the descriptive chapters are purposefully stored break free their theoretical opposite numbers, offering matters which are later revisited within the Minimalist framework. the information utilized in this learn are essentially drawn from eighty three transcribed interviews from a pool of 187 audio system. The interviews have been gathered in the course of fieldwork carried out in 1997, 2000 and 2001 within the Cape Verdean Sotavento (leeward) islands representing the extra basilectal types of the creole. As all usual languages, CVC monitors syntactic similarities and ameliorations with different creoles and noncreoles. therefore, within the spirit of comparative syntax, this quantity compares CVC to different creoles like Guinea-Bissau Creole and to noncreoles like Portuguese, French, Icelandic and Italian dialects.
Read or Download The Syntax of Cape Verdean Creole: The Sotavento Varieties PDF
Best language & grammar books
This paintings deals an in-depth therapy of numerous morpho-syntactic concerns in Cape Verdean Creole (CVC) either from a descriptive and theoretical point of view. The investigated issues comprise the determiner process, stressful, temper, element markers and pronominal paradigms. The research of TMA markers unearths morpho-syntactic configurations with fascinating ramifications for syntactic conception and parametric edition.
It is a research of the phonological improvement of a kin of L2 English novices. it's the first full-length booklet that makes a speciality of a tightly-knit workforce of novices' acquisition of phonology over a longitudinal time frame, and the 1st e-book to review either social and linguistic elements throughout that point interval.
Rules of Generative Phonology is a easy, thorough creation to phonological idea and perform. It goals to supply an organization starting place within the concept of precise beneficial properties, phonological principles and rule ordering, that is necessary to be capable of delight in contemporary advancements and discussions in phonological thought.
- Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics 1995. Linguistics and the Education of Language Teachers: Ethnolinguistic, Psycholinguistic, and Sociolinguistic Aspects
- Discourse and Context: A Sociocognitive Approach
- Errors and Disfluencies in Spoken Corpora
- The Practice of Court Interpreting
- The Structure of Discourse-Pragmatic Variation
- Bilingual Acquisition of Intonation: A Study of Children Speaking German and English
Extra resources for The Syntax of Cape Verdean Creole: The Sotavento Varieties
All examples in the corpus conform to the spelling conventions of the new oﬃcial script ALUPEC (Alfabeto Uniﬁcado para a Escrita do Caboverdiano, 1998). The only modiﬁcations I bring to the conventions of the ALUPEC are at the level of accentuation. I do not indicate the stress patterns of the words that abide by CVC following stress rules: stress rules are conditioned by the syntactic category to which a given word belongs, as well as its syllabic structure. , dur’mi ‘to sleep’). , mu’djer ‘woman’) (cf.
At all times, the islands were used more as a commercial strategic point than for the wealth of the resources they had to oﬀer. They were primarily used as a slave depository, a testing ground for agricultural resources, and a spring board for reconnaissance expeditions and exploration on the western coast of Africa (Andrade, 1996). Table 1, adapted from Andrade (1996: 137) and Carreira (1972: 420–430), shows the demographics of the slave population in the islands between the 16th and 19th century.
7) that “the absence of the indeﬁnite article in the ﬁrst occurrence of the NP would lead the hearer inevitably to interpret this NP as nonreferential. ” Examples (20) and (21) show, however, there is no need to mark an NP with an indeﬁnite article to establish reference. The Cape Verdean NP deﬁnite referential singular (23) Xefri ka ta zanga ku nos. ’ indeﬁnite referential singular (24) a. Nu tenha xefri ki ta leba libru ku nos. ’ b. Djedje atxa mudjer bibu, kuazi mortu lago. ’ It is important to emphasize that these are just tendencies, as it is also possible to ﬁnd indeﬁnite referential/nonreferential singulars (or just generic) in subject position, as illustrated in (25): (25) Amigu ka ta faze keli.
The Syntax of Cape Verdean Creole: The Sotavento Varieties by Marlyse Baptista